Monday, December 10, 2012

First prepared speech: @ Speakers Club @ SAS


Latest trend in Bollywood: The 100-crore club
Don't you think that Bollywood is the most exceptional phenomenon of our country.  Sometimes I wonder if there were no Bollywood, how would we be able to have any interesting conversation, Imagine? And how would Indian media survive?
Let me tell you about this latest bollywood trend. Recently I had invited my daughter's friends home. The topic of dicsussion moved over to guess what?  Bollywood of course! Anyways, I asked these girls who was their favorite hero? While many voted Aamir, Salman, Shahrukh and Ranbir, but one girl was a fan of Imran Khan, and others just condemned her preference.What's wrong with Imran Khan. Imran Khan is soooo Cuuuute. But Aunty Imran is not a 100-crore star, said our business-savvy generation kids!!!
On googling I realized that the 100-crore club is all about Box office performance or revenue  of a film! Only male actors whose films net Rs. 100 crore (not gross)  or more in India are recognized as part of this elite club. Since when did female fans of an actor start worrying their pretty heads about box office numbers, I was wondering!!! But nowadays, I guess, like everything else in this world, any art is not about winning hearts, it's just about revenues!!
So as Ghajini (2008) was the first film to net more than Rs. 100 crore in India, Aamir Khan became the first member of the club. Some of the other films that have reached this banchmark are 3 Idiots, Dabangg, RaOne, Agneepath, Housefull 2, Rowdy Rathore and Bol Bachchan and Ek Tha Tiger.
Now we know veneration is such an inherrent part of our culture. First we venerate thousands of mythological gods! Is that not enough? Then we venerate the hundreds of bollywood and Tollywood stars, especially male ones!!!
So if a Dabanng or a Three Idiots crosses the 100-crore mark, then it is Aamir Khan or Salman Khan who become members of this 100-crore club. Such is the gender bias in our society. What about the heroines? Don't you think a Dabangg or a Raone would have attracted many crowds without thefemale item numbers?
Unfortunately Vidya Balan's The Dirty Picture did not touch 100 crore. Otherwise , it would’ve been interesting to see who would have become a member of the 100-crore club – Vidya Balan,or the male actors?
Strangely this club ignores all others who also contribute to the film's success--the producers and directors, distributors and the whole unit.  I think the 100 crores ceoncept is  nothing but the latest media hype. It is ridiculous the way the industry and the media are obsesssing with it. If a film has crossed the magic number, does no one care about anything else? Is this the only benchmark for good cinema? Are we teaching our kids that money is the only yardstick to evaluate a piece of art? I can imagine that very soon when kids play games like bollywood dumb charades, they will be doing this, and someone will invent sign language for 50, 100 and 200 crore!

No comments: