Tuesday, September 16, 2008

All for Love

It is fifteen years now, since I know my husband. Of all the things I have done out of love for him, bearing with dogs is the worst of them all. My husband is a dog lover. Our first born is a girl. Last year I had my my second baby, a boy. My husband was overjoyed. I thought then that we were a nice big, complete family, as his parents also live with us. But he said there was still a void in his life. He bought this sweet little labrador pup, and said that now his family looked complete! The pup I didn't mind, untill he grew and turned into a "horse" or probably I should say "silly ass" . He can eat anything from non-veg to fruit to leaves to sticks, pots, plants, bricks, cardboard boxes, shoes and not to mention clothes! Oh, I think that's his favourite food. Not "any" clothes but mostly "my clothes", maybe they smell good to him or they are really appetizing --I might just taste them myself one day, to check if this is true!
Last week he(Ginger) had bitten off a large piece of another one of my nice party outfits that was accidentally, or rather carelessly put on the clothes line somewhere near him. Who put it on that clothes line while I was at work?? I don't know! And I never will get to know! Probably, I must look at this from a positive perspective and console myself by thinking that my outfit might have just walked into the devil's mouth! This must be the ninth or tenth garment that he has tried to eat off. And why my clothes? He hardly eats anybody else's clothes in the house! My hubby has never had even a single handkerchief bitten off by his best friend!
Now hubby dear happily and always with great pleasure, promises a new outfit for me in case his dog bites off one of my existing garments. But how would this make me happy? To think of all the money that he will need to spend on feeding his dog, I worry that he'll soon go broke! You see, he must buy dog food for meal times, (which is not cheap, BTW) and my garments for the in-between-meal snacks, to indulge the poor starved fellow, who is actually growing into a "baby elephant", I should say. Obviously this cost does not bother hubby, or make him least unhappy, because anything for his precious pet is worth the cost, even if it means he has to buy me a half a dozen new outfits every month! And such gourmet meals give the dog all the energy and vitality he needs to gallop around the house, as if he was participating in the Derby! Obviously there is nothing gentle or lady-like about this dog, so how can I like a dog who can't even walk up to you and say hello! No, not him! Open the door, unleash him and he will come charging at you like a "mad mad bull" who has seen red! Why am I always the unfortunate one who always gets caught unawares, I can't figure out. Often I turn around and when he comes galloping in like this, its hard to stiffle a small scream, that escapes from the bottom of my heart, oops throat.

Ginger is not the only one whose atrocities I have had to bear with, for the sake of my darling husband! When we got married, there were three Lhasa Apsos in the house. They looked cute and I didn't mind them, but they did mind me being sharing the room with Sameer(my husband). You see, before I came in, they were his room-mates, and every morning he awoke after they had planted a few wet kisses (oops licks) on his face. Soon this honour was snatched from them, and I had pulled the carpet (oops bed mattress) from under their feet. So what could the poor dumb animals do or say to me. Nothing much you would expect, except for a bit of ragging! Probably these dogs thought, that as a newcomer in the family, I ought to have been ragged a little. And when no human adult or child had any inclination to torment me, looked like these three apsos had taken it into their hands to show me where I stood. So each time I left my bedroom door open for a few seconds, one of them would sneak into my bedroom and pot or pee and make a big puddle on my side of the bed. Only my side f the bed! I would have liked to beat them up if I had been able to lay my hands on the culprit, but "whodunnit" and deserved to be punished, was always the million dollar question before me. God knows, but he didn't tell at that time. So often did this happen that the terrible stench of their generous output had got into my nostrils and stayed there untill I got into the habbit of shutting or locking the bedroom door each time I went out even for half a second.
Inspite of this, the good little soul that I have been, sometimes I sincerely felt like extending some gracious warmth and kindness to the dogs. But tell me, with Apsos, would you even know if you were stroking their cute little face or hairy behind?

2 comments:

~G said...

The last line is hilarious! Anyway, you aren't left with much choice but to have dogs around( if you want your hubby around too) ;) ;)
And believe me, they are wonderful creatures! Simply adorable. You just have to shower them with some love and attention then they will worship the ground that you walk on... I am talking about pet dogs haan.. :D

Manisha Mago said...

Yesterday, he ate 2 of Mili's new playgames :(