Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A state of blissful oblivion, and now a fantasy!

What is it that happens to me when I get down to painting? I find sheer sheer bliss coursing down my veins! Euphoria, satisfaction, contentment -the feeling is so good, but I can't describe more! Nowadays, the agony of not being able to do this once in a while is frustrating. I can only imagine dream, long and crave for this! A brush in one hand, colors by my side and a canvas in front of me and hours to myself, alone in silence! Who wants anything else in life! Not me :) Don't know what life would be like, if all I did was paint throughout the day, or paint for a living.

Probably office is the only place I can hope to dabble once in a while. The painting kit wasn't set up when we moved from GE Plaza office, I recently requested our facility manager to set it up in our lounge area, and promptly he did. Since then I have been raring to have a go at it. But unfortunately, during the few leisure moments I get office, I have a difficult choice to make--one option I have is to use any spare time I have to orient with and practice a whole lot of new tools and systems that I need to work with; the other more irresistable option is to throw conventions and obligations to the winds, wear a bohemian attitude and start painting--well at least for a couple of hours every day in office.

Mughal and Indian miniatures are my favourite. I have pictures of these saved on my PC since more than a year and I just crave to paint those kind of art forms. The sheer grace and beauty of these paintings mesmerizes me. I love the beautiful forms of people depicted in these paintings. There is a sort of fluid quality to them. Even the colours are so vivid and refreshing. They emanate a kind of harmony about the world, and infuse a sense of well-being and brightness into your mood.

The female forms in the Mughal miniatures are my favourite. Stare at a miniature for a while and take in the details. You’ll see the sensuality oozing out of these women forms.
You can almost feel the opulence and grandeur of that era, as well as you can feel the enchantment of the surroundings.
Birds, trees, flowers and water bodies are an essential part of most paintings and it seems like they are all making music together… imagine the sweet, synchronous melodies of that time. Even the male forms exude an air of royal authority, leadership and passion about them.
Most of the miniatures I have seen depict the lifestyles and pass-times of the Mughal kings in that period. Some of them also depict the mythological Radha-Krishna or Mughal couples in various erotic postures. What fascinates me most is the way these moods are captured into the paintings. Miniature themes focus on subjects pursuing the common pass-times and modes of classical entertainment centered around music, dance and games, and artistic culture of the period.
I associate technology with work and modernism. These miniatures represent a bygone era that depicts a complete lack of anything even remotely technical or mechanical. One can imagine about that period where life rolls by in a languid fashion, and there isn’t even a hint of any hustle-bustle or humdrum. And that I find to be so relaxing and rejuvenating. I could simply sit and stare at these paintings for hours and feel the stress and strain just ebb out, or get the painting kit and try to unravel the same beauty and details on my canvas.

No comments: